At the International Boat Builders’ Exhibition and Conference (IBEX) Industry Breakfast this morning, the National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA) announced winners of the 2014 IBEX Innovation Awards.
NMMA created the Innovation Awards program to recognize significant contributions to marine technology. The winning products were selected from 90 entries by a panel of experienced technical boating journalists from Boating Writers International (BWI). IBEX, the premier boating industry technical trade show and networking event, runs through Thursday at the Tampa Convention Center.
The 2014 IBEX Innovation Award winners are:
Boatbuilding Methods & Materials: Protomet Corporation, G4 Tower
Honorable Mention: Bogantec Marine, Eco-Teak System
Deck Equipment & Hardware: TACO Metals Inc., Stainless Steel Ratchet Hinge
Honorable Mention: JL Marine Systems, Power Pole Micro
Furnishings & Interior Parts: Kenyon International, Silken Grill Lid
Mechanical Systems (Co-Winners): Dometic Corporation, Variable Capacity Chiller, and Webasto Thermo & Comfort North America, Inc., BlueCool Variable Speed Chiller
Electrical Systems: Marinco/Mastervolt, ProInstaller Series Clustering System
Inboard Engines: Mercury Marine, MerCruiser 4.5L 250 hp Sterndrive
Outboard Engines: Suzuki Motor of America, DF25A – Outboard Motor 25 hp
Boatyard Hardware/Software and Dealer Equipment: Trimaco, E-Z Floor Guards
Honorable Mention – Skudo, Tack-Mat
Propulsion Parts, Gauges & Propellers: Gemeco Marine Accessories, Offshore Dual Engine Display
Boat Care and Maintenance: Gold Eagle Co., STA-BIL 360 Fuel Treatment
Honorable Mention – Intertape Polymer Group, SMT-1
OEM Electronics: Medallion Instrumentation Systems, Medallion Viper II Malibu Command Center
Honorable Mention: Wet Sounds Inc., WW-BT VC Bluetooth Volume Controller
Trailers, Parts and Trailer Accessories: Magic Tilt Trailers, Custom Reinforced Tube Trailer
Environmental Award: BluSkies International LLC, Diurnal Control Valve
BWI members who served on the 2014 IBEX Innovation Awards judging panel:
- Zuzana Prochazka, Awards Chair, writer and photographer who freelances for a dozen boating magazines and websites including BoatU.S., SAIL, Sea, Yachtworld, Boats.com and others.
- Bill Bishop, writer for numerous publications including the popular The Marine Installers Rant blog who had a pre-boating career in industrial automation.
- Ben Ellison, editor of Panbo.com, his work can also be found in Power and Motoryacht magazine and Sail, along with Soundings, Passagemaker, and Yachts International.
- Brady Kay, editor for Pontoon & Deckboat magazine, as well as Houseboat magazine.
- Beth Leonard, Director of Technical Services for BoatU.S. and editor of Seaworthy, a marine publication dedicated exclusively to vessel seaworthiness and boating safety.
- Mark Masciatorre, principal of DSG Associates, a consultancy specializing in the construction of custom yachts and small commercial vehicles.
- Judy Waldman, President of JW Yachts, is a lifelong cruiser specializing in trawlers, long-range cruisers, and unique yachts, who writes for YachtForums.com and several blogs.