In October, at the International BoatBuilders’ Exhibition & Conference (IBEX), the winners of the 2016 Innovation Awards were announced at the annual Industry Breakfast. The Innovation Awards honors achievement in product development in 13 areas of the marine industry. Winners were selected by a panel of judges from Boating Writers International (BWI), a professional organization consisting of writers, editors, publishers, photographers, broadcasters and others in the communications profession associated with the boating industry.
“Every year, IBEX is honored by the number of submissions to the Innovation Awards, and 2016 was no exception with 85 entrees. We would like to thank Alan Wendt and all of the BWI judges for participating in selecting the award winners,” said Anne Dunbar, IBEX show director. “These awards highlight the importance of innovation for our industry, and IBEX is honored to recognize the companies who continue to create dynamic new products.”
Alan Wendt, chair of the Innovation Awards and past president of BWI, said, “Two of the industry’s biggest growth categories, tow boats and pontoons, were well represented with products to enhance the enjoyment and manufacturing process.”
The 2016 IBEX Innovation Award winners are:
- Boat Building Methods & Materials: BANOVA, 3A Composites Baltek Inc.
- Deck Equipment & Hardware: Dual Winners – Roswell Marine, Triton Board Rack; T-H Marine Supplies, Snapflex LED Stern Navigation Light
- Furnishings & Interior Parts: Kenyon International Inc., Texan Grill with IntelliKEN Touch Control
- Mechanical Systems: XYLEM, Rule Bilge Pumps
- Electrical Systems: Mercury Marine, Electronic Steering Helm
- Inboard Engines: Volvo Penta, Easy Drain
- Outboard Engines: Honda Marine, BF6
- Propulsion Parts, Propellers: Mercury Marine, VesselView Mobile
- Boat Care and Maintenance: Pettit Paint, SeaGold
- OEM Electronics: Dual Winners – Garmin USA, Fantom 6; Wet Sounds Inc., SYN-DX 6-DSP
- Environmental Award: Fireboy-Xintex Inc., CG / MA and GA 3M Novec 1230 Fixed Fire Extinguisher